So, fun fact about me: I’m pretty good about being assertive with dogs, and quite poor about being assertive with other people. Especially adults- adults are scary.
Also, I’ve found that adults are much worse at following instructions than young people.
Today at Tractor Supply I set up near the front, there was an older lady checking out that said, “Oh, she is so cute!” I said, “Would you like to help me train her?” In a shot with no response she was upon us and giving Niko scritches. 🤦♀️
The whole thing caught me by surprise, and I didn’t have the wherewithal to shout ‘STOP!’ and explain what we were trying to do. How do I yell at a little old lady, anyway?!
So, yeah, big faceplant training session today. I also learned that there really isn’t any space to set up for approach by a stranger at Tractor Supply. Tuesday we spent some time at IFA and had a couple successful AbaS’s with the employees… and I’ve worked it with Graydon a couple times too… but I’m struggling with soliciting attention from strangers with a “Hey! Will you help me…” and even when I get the instructions out I forget to have them repeat them back to me. I think I may try a public park next time, with a big sign and place markers and a bowl of candy for people to move toward after they approach her. Maybe the candy will be more tempting than the puppy?! 🤣
So, for this ambivert who is terrified of approaching (or encroaching on) random people, do any of you have any pointers?
![]() |
| My naughty cat likes to antagonize the puppy when she knows we are training. Still- Niko held her stay! Good dog! |

I’m struggling with approach by a stranger, and welcome any helpful suggestions you ladies may have!
ReplyDeleteKat,
ReplyDeleteLOL this happens a lot. Suggestion, have printed instructions away from Niko, with her photo on it. When you ask, "Woukd you be willing to help me train my dog, I have directions over there (point). Please read the directions and then I will talk to you about helping me train my dog. "
Also, you CA, get a vest for her that reads, "Dog in training, DO NOT Approach " which eliminates this situation.
There's some other great approaches you can use. Have a yellow line around Niko, say 10' away, when training her on Sit, Stand or Down . Tell people she can't be approached as she's in training.
And, 🤭🤐one of the benefits to going through the RC is you WILL learn How to read people and communicate, exactly, what you want them to do (or not do). Niko learns obedience. You acquire confidence and assertiveness in your communication. Even with adults? Yes, you will😗
Okay! Usually people are either afraid to talk to me at all, or they have no sense of boundaries. I like the idea of a printed instructions-- I WILL do this. 😆
DeleteThank you!
Hi Kat, not sure if this will help but I worked with Zoey on approach by a stranger at the pet store. It wasn’t busy when I went and I had the workers help me. They were very good about helping. I also felt like they had knowledge about dogs so they followed instructions well and kept their distance. While we were there we did some leash walking. Short aisles so we got lots of turns in, did some recalls, and even some sit stays. Let me know if you need me to come help you with approach by stranger.
ReplyDeleteThat is a good idea, Trina! Thank you! I'm going to try a couple more times on my own and then I may ask you to help me herd people. 😉❤️
DeleteKat, I love your posts! You make me laugh. The bowl of candy idea? Brilliant!!! It may work. I could come lure them with a treat as a reward for following directions. Our dogs are not treat trained but the people could be 🤣
ReplyDeleteMary, that is exactly what I was thinking! 😆❤️
Delete